Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ultegra cassette change

Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4018

Expecting delivery of a new wheel set shortly and need to swap the cassette over, not done it before and want to learn rather than keep sending it in the the shop.
Can anyone assist with tools and knowledge.
Live in Romiley so i can pop round to anyone local if you can help.
No matter how slow you go you are still lapping everybody on the couch
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4019

• Lupo
Nip in to local shop or Halfords (that have bike tools), you need a "chain whip" and a "shimano cassette socket"(it has 12 teeth on it).

Then look on YouTube for a video, it's very easy once you know how.

Finally, you will have a small spacer behind the cassette, make sure you take it off and put it on your new wheel?

Lupo - He's not the messiah.....
An idiot pretending to be a cyclist

Re:Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4023

cheers mate, i'll have a look.
No matter how slow you go you are still lapping everybody on the couch

Re:Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4024

Planet X are doing toolkit here www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jobsworth-tool-kit for £35 which is better value than buying a chain whip and cassette tool separately.

As Lupo said its really easy to do once you have the tools, just remember to lay out the sprockets and spacers from the cassette in the correct order for putting on the new wheels. I tend to lay them all out on the floor in a row as I take them off.

Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4025

Phil - It's easy peasy as Dan and Lupo have said.

Make sure you use a decent grease like Finish Line.

Park tool are the daddys for tools and help: www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/casset...nd-freewheel-removal

I'm a bit of a park tool addict but Aldi have a perfectly useable toolkit for £20 www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-29t.../bicycle-tool-kit-3/

If you have a look at each tool on the park site there is usually a video on each page to show how to use the tool.

If you've not got a torque wrench to tighten the lock ring just use the socket ( www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5 ) to tighten the lockring by hand so you've lined up the thread. On ultegra/dura ace 10sp the lockring threads are easy to bugger up.

Then once it's hand tight get your wrench ( www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-wrench-frw-1 ) and start to tighten properly. As you feel it tighten just be careful not to over tighten (easy to say on here) those lockrings really are easy to overdo and thread.

It's a two min job tops and not worth paying to be done. Just remember that if your'e changing the size of cassette you'll have to index the gears :cheer: ANOTHER THREAD?????

AL
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Polocini.

Ultegra cassette change 3 years 5 months ago #4027

I'm local mate - easy job and have all the kit. I'm not around this weekend. I live near(ish) to St Marks Church.

When are you getting the wheels ?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds