Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mountain bike advice

Mountain bike advice 2 years 10 months ago #5024

Looking to delve into the mucky world of riding on trails in the dirt. Mate has a mountain bike and lives right next to loads of trails and is eager to share. I've not a great deal of experience with mountain bikes so was looking for suggestions as a starter bike.

Would be looking at a hard tail with disc brakes. I was thinking something 2nd hand in case it's not for me, have about £280 to spare ( stretch further for something new that I could get on finance but would rather stick with 2nd hand until I know I'd take it up ).

Anyone any ideas on what is suitable in that (small) price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mountain bike advice 2 years 10 months ago #5026

Swindys, I'm no expert but I had a specialized hardrock sport disc for a couple of years, it was a bit heavy but I always thought if I could get up a hill on this wait till I get a lighter bike ;) You can pick them up on ebay for a few hundred quid for a really good one! I've now got a whyte 801 which I love!! got it from edinburgh bike coop, well worth a look, I know Whyte have brought out a 601 for this year in a lovely green colour, well specced for the price, i think its about £525 I know its a bit more than you want to spend but well worth a look, I think EBC do interest free finance. When you get one give me a shout & we'll go out, I tend to go round the roman lakes in Marple. Cheers Dave

Mountain bike advice 2 years 10 months ago #5032

At that budget it's a case of trawling the classifieds. There is gumtree, pink bike, bikeradar and singletrack forums. Not a lot of bargains come up on ebay anymore.

I'm on all of the sites daily looking for my nicked bikes. Recently a couple of decent Voodoo Hoodoo bikes had come up around your price range on gumtree.

This one looks mint: www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/voodoo-hoodoo-/1088549792 bid him £250 B)

Review here: www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bike...doo-hoodoo-12-46194/

AL

Re:Mountain bike advice 2 years 10 months ago #5045

I second the Spesh Hardrock Sport Disc. I have had one for 10 years. I swapped the saddle for a Prologo, and it's on its second BB, and most of the running gear has been replaced (this year). Heavy, but if you are bike fit it's no problem. I leave casual cyclists on lighter bikes for dead. It's fine for going to Tesco on too.

New it was about £400 in 2004. Got it from NW MTB Centre nr Roscoe's Roundabout in Cheadle.

Mine red, so it is faster than ones that are lesser colours.
"Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.804 seconds