Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Roubaix Wheel Recommendations

Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5441

Hi All. I need to replace my wheelset as its seen better days, and I know I need some decent ones for the cobbles on the road to roubaix! :ohmy:

Do you have any recommendations on which to get? My budget isn't massive so ideally something around the £300 mark.

I'd also ideally like them to be decent all rounder wheels so I can use them for general training as well, until i've saved up for some more aero ones for the summer.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Cheers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5442

Ambrosio's are generally well thought of for the purpose or Mavic open pros with 105 hubs. Something tough with lots and lots and lots of spokes.

That said, my Fulcrum Racing 7s were just as true after as they were new. Still haven't needed anything doing.
"Ow, my legs" - Nicholas Cage
"Shut up, legs" - Jens Voigt

Re:Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5443

Great thanks, something like this then should do the trick?

www.wiggle.co.uk/custom-build-mavic-open...-105-wheelset/#tabAA

Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5444

• Ken
Hi Dale.

I'm training for it on Ambrosio rims, 32 spokes front and rear with 28 Conti 4 season.
Very smooth with Miche hubs.
They swallow up humps and bumps very nicely and very very smooth on the flats.

These were hanbuilt by johnsons in Stalybrige and he has quite a few ready built, ready to go.

Hope it helps.

Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5445

• Ken
Should have mentioned Dale. Price is around £250 for these wheels so within budget, possibly less if you have a lower spoke count?
Other advantage of hand builds is that the local shop will true them up if necessary in the future , that said mine are as true as the day I bought them and they've seen some rough ground.

Sam at Sett Valley in New Mills also builds wheels but Johnsons may do a deal given he has a few on the shelf.

Roubaix Wheel Recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #5446

Thanks Ken, sounds ideal. I will pop in this week and see what they have. Sounds like hand built is the way forward so I'll go with that.

Cheers for your help!
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds