Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New bike for rainytimes

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7534

So I've been pulling my hair out for the last 3 months looking for something to replace my go-to wet weather bike.

Does anybody want to talk me out of this? Fair bit of value.
www.thebikeshop.de/epages/62303450.sf/en.../Products/CAY5SY3DBQ

I've had absolutely zero interest in having disc brakes. I don't like change. However, I'm struggling to nail the spec I'm after considering that most manufacturers have put them on everything this year. Also, on paper, they probably wouldn't do much harm given what I'm going to use the bike for (i.e., long miles in bobbins weather). Am I just being stubborn?

I'm after nothing too aggressive, and ideally with Ultegra (never had any problems with 105, but I love the new ultegra and I am so worth it). No pants paint jobs. Was really looking for an Alu frame, but short of a CAAD, which is probably racier than I really wanted this time around, the choice seems a bit limited.

An option might be the Trek Emonda ALR, which I can get for maybe 2000EUR in Germany (love Deutschland). Canyon is out cos they won't ship my size with the crank and bar sizes I ride.

Any thoughts kindly appreciated, I've done my own head in long enough with this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7535

We should get cyclo-cross bikes, can I carry yours up the steps?

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7539

That's a fine looking bike and good discount but feels like a lot of money for a wet weather bike, especially as you'd probably want to upgrade those wheels straight away. Nothing wrong with disc brakes though. Once you've tried them you won't be looking back. In the dry there's not much advantage over rim brakes but on a wet technical descent you'll really appreciate them. Plus you won't be destroying rims/wheels (I wear through rear rims about every 4-5k miles as I do a lot of hilly rides in bad weather). When I built up my Salsa touring bike I went for mechanical discs as I couldn't justify the cost of hydraulic shifters.

When my best bike developed a crack in the carbon frame I decided to replace with a alu frame so did a lot of research. If you're looking for something light & fast then you can't go wrong with the new Trek Emonda ALR or Canondale CAAD. Also have a look at Kinesis as they do a lightweight alu frame which I might have bought if it wasn't for the rider weight limit. They also do a very well regarded all seasons bike.

I love my Dolan winter bike which is a fairly basic (and heavy) alu frame but it's a surprisingly comfy ride.

Have you thought about the GT Grade as they do that in alu and carbon with various specs including Ultegra?

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7540

Cheers for that bit of feedback Jason, plenty to mull over there. I did consider the Aithein as it happens, but I'm not sure I want to go down the frameset route again and I'm not too sure about its geometry. The Emonda is quite tempting though.

And Lee, you're welcome to carry my bike up as many stairs as you like. I'll just watch though. From the beer tent.

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7542

• Ken
I pondered on this last Winter, Spring and now it's Summer!!!

I narrowed it down to the Cannondale (they now have a Caad 12) and a Focus with discs. Wheelbase in Kendal seemed to cover all the bases in make and models?

Probably look at it again all being well come November?

New bike for rainytimes 2 years 4 months ago #7549

Fran, for what it's worth, I've got the carbon emonda SL5 & I love it (even though the colours a bit loud) so the aluminium version should be spot on. Like I said for what it's worth :) Cheers Dave
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds